Thursday, October 1, 2015

Accessories for Dummies- Reader's Request Katie E.

The Golden Rule of 7:
Accessories for dummies.


Not that I think any of you are dummies, but it's a common question. The world of accessories can be overwhelming, even daunting to some.

What are the rules?
Am I wearing enough?
Am I overdoing it?

First and foremost lets define accessories:
Accessories are any item of clothing or jewelry that enhance the basic staples of an outfit.
They include (and are certainly not limited to) hats, scarves, watches, handkerchiefs, cufflinks, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings, purses, clutches and the list can go on forever. 
Basically an accessory is anything that is added once you are fully clothed.

While you may agree or disagree, I have a guideline I personally like to stick to: 
The Golden Rule of 7

I tend to wear no more than 7 pieces of clothing/accessories at once. 
For myself, 7 is my comfort level number. Any more and I, personally, feel like I am overdoing it.
Others may be comfortable wearing more than 7. Some of you may be reading this and be thinking, "7?!? That's a bit much, I think I'll go with 5."

To each their own. In my conversations with friends and acquaintances, they agree that 7 seems to be the lucky number.

I am very much a visual person so let's go ahead and "break down" a few examples:


Casual:
1. Baseball Tee
2. Skinny Jeans
3. Hoodie
4. Sunglasses
5. Hat
6. Tote
7. Shoes

The only thing I might add to this outfit would be a pair of simple stud earrings and subtract the hat. But, I've never been a fan of hats anyway.






Day to Day:
1. Chambray
2. Cardigan
3. Scarf
4. Leggings
5. Boots Cuffs
6. Boots

This outfit allows to also include a fun pair of statement earrings or a bracelet if you wanted to.




Night Out:
1. Pea coat
2. Long sleeved Tee
3. Earrings
4. Skirt
5. Tights
6. Shoes
7. Clutch





Special Occassion:
1. Dress
2. Earrings
3. Bangles
4. Clutch purse
5. Shoes

You don't always have to wear 7. The golden rule is up to seven. 
If you feel this outfit is a little "bare" for your taste...
Add tights: There's 6!
Add a vintage hair piece or a broach: There's 7!






If you still feel like you might be overdoing it, stand in front of the mirror and take off one thing.
Looking on pinterest for outfit ideas is always a great way to see how other fashionistas accessorize. While I was searching for photos to use in this blog post, almost every photograph had 7 items or less so I think the rule is fairly universal.

As always, I hope you have a fabulous day. 




If you have any questions or comments regarding this post let me know. Do you have any fashion or lifestyle questions? I would love to hear from you. Please post a comment or question below!








No comments:

Post a Comment